Frequently Asked Questions
Is it okay to interview more than one designer?
Yes, of course! Interview as many as you’d like.
How can I see the work the designer has done in the past?
Go to the designers website to view their portfolio
How will I know the designer is right for me?
The most important ingredient for success with a design project is clear communication with your designer. Meeting with a designer will provide insight into the designers’ personality. Is this designer the type of personality you are most compatible with? Interviewing another designer allows you to select your best match.
Can the designer help me with paint colors and space planning?
Can the designer refer tradesmen?
Yes. Once you begin working with a designer, they will refer reliable contractors, builders, architects, plumbers, and painters – any kind of trade having to do with your home or office.
Can I afford to work with an interior designer?
The real question is can you afford not to. Professional interior designers help you avoid mistakes that cost both money and time. Designers provide value by helping you choose the right products and services to best suit your lifestyle. Most people do not have the time to decorate their entire home all at once. Designers establish long-term relationships with clients and develop a master plan that will guide the design projects you undertake over time.
With all of the stores out online, why can’t I do this on my own?
Designers have access to specialty products and services only offered to professionals and the trade. A designer can make an appointment with individual showrooms to bring you to Design Center Philadelphia to show you custom and on-of-a-kind products not available in retail stores or online. Designers have intimate knowledge of the 1,500+ manufacturers product lines on display at Design Center Philadelphia. A designer will help you choose the perfect finish, fabric, trimmings or other custom features you desire. You benefit from the training, experience and expertise of a professional interior designer by eliminating costly pitfalls and mistakes. When was the last time you ordered something online that wasn’t quite right? It happens all the time. Designers weighs multiple factors well beyond the look of a piece of furniture, a floor covering or fabric. They consider proportion, color, style, balance, comfort, and budget to help you create the home or office you’ve always wanted.
I am building a new home. I hired an architect and a builder. The architect suggested I hire an interior designer. Why do I need an interior designer if I have an architect?
Architects design structures and oversee building processes. They ensure the plans are properly executed. The architect is responsible for the structural integrity of the home.
Interior designers work with the client and the architect to integrate the structural features with interior elements of the home to enhance the way you use the space. They are professionally trained in space planning and consider the homeowners’ personalities, special needs, lifestyle, entertaining style, color palettes, passions, and a host of other factors. A professional designer will bring the interior of your home to life so that it is welcoming, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. It is the designer’s responsibility to translate the client’s lifestyle and family needs into a well-designed and executed interior.
How do I know if I need an interior designer?
That depends on your available free time, patience, creativity or lack thereof, list of resources, interests, and much more. Here are some guidelines to help you decide if you should hire a professional. You might want to hire a professional designer if:
- You need help with space planning, lighting design, kitchen layout, or bathroom renovation.
- You have little or no free time to shop for home decor items and coordinate their delivery.
- You are overwhelmed by the vast number of choices available.
- You want someone else to deal with the hassles of ordering, shipping, coordinating, and installing.
- You are tired of buying things here and there without an overall plan.
- You want to have quality work done but do not have your own list of reliable tradesmen and installers.
- You have tried to decorate your home and have purchased a few nice items, but it’s not quite right. You really need help pulling it all together.
- You want a cohesive color scheme and design that can be carried throughout your home.
- You have good taste but would like to elevate your style a few notches.
- You have photos of rooms you like, but don’t know how to coordinate the elements so they work together.
- You and your partner do not agree on anything for your home.
- You found a gorgeous sofa in a decorating magazine, but it’s only available “to the trade”.
- You want some custom designed furniture, cabinetry, fireplaces, built-ins, murals, faux finishes, etc.
- You don’t know what new products, floor coverings, fabrics, or appliances are available that might be used for your project.
- Your home is on the historic registry or from a particular period; it has a specific style, or has an unusual design and you need assistance making appropriate selections.
- You are very creative, but you don’t know where to start.
- You want more choices in fabrics, flooring, and furniture than what is available in retail stores.
- You are planning to build a new home and are wondering if any interior specifications should be changed before work begins.
- You found the “perfect” room in a magazine and need help creating it.